Five Potentially Dangerous Electrical Hazards That New Homeowners Must Know

As modern homeowners continue to rely on electricity to power almost all domestic appliances, potentially dangerous hazards are bound to occur if appropriate mitigation measures are neglected. From faulty wiring to inquisitive children to defective electrical fixtures, you must try to eradicate or minimize these hazards before they lead to damage to your home or injuries and deaths. With the help of a professional electrician, you can make your home a safe place for your children. Here are a few electrical hazards to watch out.

Extension Cords -- You will need this device when you need to power multiple electronic appliances temporarily. However, extension cords, if inappropriately fixed, can increase the likelihood of trips and falls when placed on walkways and doorways. Although useful, extension cords should never be used as permanent alternatives for power sockets. With power surges, these cords can overheat especially if you run them through ceilings and walls. Avoid fire hazards by taking all the necessary safety measures with regard to extension cords.      

Light Bulbs -- When a light bulb is placed near flammable materials such as curtains, newspapers, and plastics, it can cause a serious fire hazard. Apart from fire hazards, these devices can also lead to electric shock when touched with wet hands or replaced inappropriately. Ensure that when replacing light bulbs, your hands should be dry, and the light switch should always be turned off. It is also a good idea to use the energy efficient bulbs that do not overheat like the ordinary types.

Children -- You should keep your kids safe from any electrical accidents. Therefore, you should keep all electrical appliance cords away from children. Water and electricity are not the best friends. As such, ensure that you dry off your child before they can get in the vicinity of any electronic appliance. Also, install plastic closures into electrical sockets to prevent electrocution.

Electrical Fires -- Electrical fires fall in Class C and they would require carbon dioxide fire extinguishers. A common mistake that you can do when an electrical fire erupts in your home is to put it out with water. Avoid electrocution and exacerbation of the fire by using a recommended Class C fire extinguisher. In the absence of a fire extinguisher, you should switch off the mains and evacuate your home before calling your local fire service.

Faulty Wiring and Electric Fixtures -- A professional electrician can make sure that your wiring is up to the required standards. Never attempt DIY electricity work in your home if you have no background knowledge of this trade. Electric wires may wear out because of overheating, power surges, and damage by rodents; thus, you should have them replaced immediately. Also, replace faulty and damaged switches, cords and appliances, which may pose an electrical hazard.